Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Top Dog On The Value Wine List


Well you may have seen my hint a few weeks back, and the last few wines that came to my attention did not dissuade me from my Top Value Wine Pick from the list submitted by the faithful readers herein. Here are my comments about the winner of the flight:

Montecillo Crianza 2002 (Spanish Rioja)
An Official Top Dog of the tasting group. This Spanish Rioja from Kroger and Total Wine is silky, soft and structured, with great notes of medium red fruits and just enough tannin to make me swoon. Tempranillo very often taste cheap when in the Crianza style, meaning released in it’s third year, with at least one year in oak. The next step up would be Riserva, and not fall into our price category. This is an awesome find, and I’m buying by the case. By the way, the 2001 was the actual wine submitted. If it’s any better than this…Wow (95)

Thanks to Kristen Kelly and Barbara Garazo for submitting this wine. I have now tasted the 2001, and the 1998 Riserva, both of which are available at Total Wine. The Riserva prices a bit higher, about $18.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The list is wonderful. I can't wait to try several of the wines! What a great idea. Thank you for putting it together. - Deanna